For our fifteenth week of preschool, our unit was focused on Martin Luther King, Jr.
That week Stella and I took part in the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service. It was awesome! I personally really grew and learned from that experience. I think my Stella Bell did, too. I hope she grows up to love service. We started the morning off meeting with all the volunteers at a local elementary school for breakfast and a meeting. They had two excellent speakers there and, of course, I ended up crying! Stella did so well and listened the whole time. After that, each group was dispatched to their place of service. We volunteered to help at Glendale Shoals. We worked with the Tree and Kudzo Coalition to pull privet from the forest. A lot of the older people who were volunteering said that when they were growing up, privet was what they had to go pick when they were told to go get a switch! Anyway, the group got so much done! Stella worked, too. We will definitely be doing that again next year!
![]() |
| Pulling Privet |
![]() |
| Stella makes BFFS everywhere she goes! |
![]() |
Piles of Privet the Group Pulled
|
Oh and we made it in the local paper! You can read the article (we're on the second page) here and you can look at Stella in the photo gallery at this web address:
Her picture was one of two on the front page of the section. We were a tad bit excited!






2 comments:
It's never too early to teach service. Congrats on being in the paper..nice article! I'd never heard of privet..so I learned something new! (I did however know of "switches"..not that I ever had to use them..or have them used on me!)
Really cute picture of Stella in the paper, and a great service project. So much better than the attitude that MLK day is just another day off! You are an awesome teacher!
Post a Comment