Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Black History Month

For our seventeenth week of preschool, our unit was focused on the book "Follow the Drinking Gourd" since February is Black History Month.


I may have cried a little bit that week when I had to explain things to Stella about slavery, especially when we talked about how families were broken up. I feel it necessary though for her to understand that horrible time in history. We also spoke a lot about the underground railroad. I would hope that I would have helped back then since it did go through Ohio. Those people were so brave! After the week of learning about that we went to the Upcountry History Museum because they were having an exhibit called "Protests, Prayers, & Progress" about the civil rights movement in our area. It was so interesting to learn about the civil right movement right where we live.

At a Restaurant Counter Where Protests Took Place (Grady was trying to get some of that delicious looking fake cake!)

The Difference Between White and Black Schools

1 comments:

selvageedge said...

I am amazed and horrified when I see the things that were "normal" even during my lifetime. I'm so grateful for those who stood up and made a difference, and hope that I would have been one to help too with the underground railroad. Our childrens' world is very different. More evil in some ways, but so much better in some others.