I have had a hard time getting to this post, but two months after my father-in-law's passing, I think it's probably time. I have to tell you that I miss him so much. I am crying as I'm typing this. You would think by two months, it would be a little easier, and in some ways it is. The day-to-day life is easier. After Papaw passed it was if I didn't know how to move on. I don't know how to explain or compare it except for as if I were canoeing down a river, and lost a paddle. I was off-balance. Luckily, I have 5 youngins to care for, so they helped me to keep moving. I still cry almost every time I talk about him, though. My mother-in-law asked me to speak at Papaw's funeral for the in-laws. It was a beautiful funeral, graveside ceremony and dinner that the local congregation of our church put together. Through my grief, crying and awkwardness, I said something to this effect:
"When you hear the word "in-laws," it often has a negative connotation to it, but it never was that way for me. Don't get me wrong, those of us in his family knew that Harley was a little rough around the edges, but his heart was in the right place. I realized that more and more throughout the years. He always like me, and I would even say that he always loved me. He always thought the best of me, even when I didn't necessarily deserve it. I spoke with my Brother-in-Law last night and we both had similar feelings: Harley never treated us like were 'the in-laws.' We were always part of the family. He had a father's heart. When Casey and I were engaged, he told Casey that it was expected of him to take care of me. That meant so much to me and again showed his father's heart. I would always refer to him has Harley or Mike, but then he became Papaw and that's what it has been ever since. He loved my children. He even bought a house in South Carolina to spend more time with them, just like he bought a house in Columbus to be by Stacy's girls. He was a good and attentive grandfather. He would take my children places just like he took my husband places when he was growing up. He knew that love is spelled T-I-M-E. Now my husband is like his father in that he makes sure to spend time with his children. He loved my husband. Casey was his boy even at 40. When someone loves those dearest to you, you can't help but love them back. He was always there for us. He paid for our moving truck to get down to SC. We are living in his house now so that we could have a transition place to stay during our move. He gave us many vehicles. These example again show his father's heart.. Casey and I had sacred experiences after he passed to let us know that he is not too far away from us, I hope his grandchildren understand that, as well. I know families can be together forever and that is such a comfort to me."
Papaw had been sick for awhile, but to say that we expected his passing would just not be true. We thought there was a real possibility of him getting better and he was just so young! I know he is no longer in pain though. I know he is with loved ones, including his father who passed away when Papaw was only 17. I know he is happy where he is and I know he is keeping busy. We just miss him a lot....a lot.
My dear, sweet Mother-in-Law is doing alright. She has really taken on running the household so well. She is a very strong, independent, loving and faithful woman. I know she misses her husband daily, though. Prayers are always appreciated in our behalf.
Farewell Papaw, until we meet again.
Your Loving Daughter-in-Law,

2 comments:
The funeral was really a great tribute to a wonderful man. I always loved how he would get into the spirit of our Halloween parties! I love Sandy and just saw her at Elyse Gorrell's wedding reception. You have many wonderful memories to keep in your heart and share with your children. Harley will be missed by many and your eulogy was so touching. I'm glad I could be there. Give Casey a hug from us and we'll keep your family in our prayers. Love you guys!
You couldn't have said it any better friend.Harley truly was a great man with a big heart.Our hearts are heavy for you all! Sending hugs and prayers from Ohio!♡
Post a Comment